Thursday, May 19, 2022

Lelita Baldock - Where the Gulls Fall Silent

Woking’s Lelita Baldock is an author of historical fiction and crime fiction. She has a passion for dark stories, with an unexpected twist. It was during her years studying English Literature at University that Lelita discovered her love of all things reading and writing. But it would be another 15 years before she would take up the challenge and write her own novel. Her debut novel, the historical fiction Widow’s Lace, is an Historical Australian and Oceanian Fiction Amazon best-seller. 

Her follow up, The Unsound Sister, saw her take a different direction in her writing, trying her hand at crime fiction and has been warmly received globally.  


Lelita Baldock, the author of  'Where the Gulls Fall Silent'


Her third novel, Where the Gulls Fall Silent, a traditional historical fiction set in mid-1800s Cornwall, is out now… 

... A small fishing village, a shunned healer, her daughter, tradition, superstition and a world set to change. Kerensa lives with her mother, the healer Meliora, on the edge of a small fishing community on the Cornish Coast. The townsfolk, who work the fish runs of pilchard and mackerel that make their way up the Atlantic coast, call on her mother for help with their ailments, but never for her company. Kerensa does not know why. Curses and superstitions whisper around her as she grows into a competent young woman, fighting for her place amongst the people of Porth Gwynn. But what has caused the rift between her and the town? And can their traditional way of life survive in the face of changing winds? 

Where the Gulls Fall Silent is a remarkable piece of historical fiction that explores the lives of the fishermen and women who made their living from the rough Atlantic Ocean; the hardship they faced; the secrets that divided them; and the community spirit that pulled them through. A story of love, loss, hope and second chances.




60 Second Interview 

1) When did you start writing your new book? 

I started writing Where the Gulls Fall Silent in November 2020. We had just returned to lockdown, and I decided I wanted to be as positive as possible whilst restricted to ‘at home’ activities. Things started really well, but unfortunately my cat seriously injured her knee just before Christmas. Caring for her had to come first and so my spare time to write was greatly diminished. But I didn’t let it stop me altogether, and kept writing, even small amounts as often as I could. Proof that even when time and commitments are stacked against you, the small actions add up to success. 

2) What was the inspiration behind the book? 

The idea from the story was strongly influenced by the history of Cornwall and it’s fishing heritage. My husband and I holidayed at Port Gaverne in 2019 and I fell in love with the rugged and beautiful coastline. Spending slow, relaxed days exploring the nearby towns, meeting the locals and hearing about the history of the ports got my creative mind spinning and even before we left for home the first pieces of the plot were developing. 

3) Can you describe your route to publication from concept to completed novel? 

Where the Gulls Fall Silent followed much the same path from concept to publication as my previous two novels. Once the initial ideas began to form, I gave myself time to plot and plan. I am definitely a planner. I develop the key events that are needed for my story and a basic overview of how the plot will move between them. Then I create my characters, in detail, and work on how they would react in the key moments of the story, to give them authenticity. Once I have a chapter-by-chapter outline, I get writing. My first draft is invariably loose and rough, but I get the bones of the story out. Then I use drafts 2 and 3 to really work on the story and refine the flow. For this novel I decided not to try querying with Literary Agents and instead went straight to self-publishing. I asked a dear friend of mine to paint an image for the front cover and I was absolutely thrilled by the result. Putting her incredible image on my novel really brought the whole story together, ready to publish through Amazon.  

4) What ideas do you have for any future books?  

I am currently nearing the completion of what will be my fourth novel, another historical fiction. The story will be set in Post-Napoleonic War France, and involves smuggling, fetishism and espionage – but that’s all I am ready to share at this point!  

5) Which publishing services (if any) would you recommend?  

So far in my career I have only used Amazon to publish my novels. It is easy to use, clearly set out and very powerful. Plus, it has a large market share and reaches a wide audience.


#wokingwrites

No comments:

Post a Comment