Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Sue Mackender talks about her writing journey through Woking

Woking author, Sue Mackender takes us on her unique writing journey as she revisits some famous names and places and tells us what inspires her writing…. 

Sue Mackender, author of The Girl on the Hill

“Reading a book has an amazing range of hidden health benefits, including increased emotional intelligence, a boost in brain activity (which can help to delay the onset of dementia), an aid to better sleep and it can even improve our confidence and self-esteem, providing the grounding we need to pursue our goals and make life decisions.” I couldn’t agree more. My writing day starts with several hours on the keyboard followed by a smidgen of housework and a walk which usually involves water as I find it’s a great place to think and iron out plot tangles. Then back for some editing, prepping dinner, and another quick spin around the garden, after that, a relaxing glass of something to underline my day.



Goldsworth Park Lake, Woking

Goldsworth Lake in Woking is a great place to ponder. I’m currently editing book two of a series, the follow up to The Girl on the Hill, but my brain is buzzing with an idea I have about - well, you’ll have to wait and see. But, it will be in my usual gritty Domestic Noir genre. 

You will often find me at Squires Café in Littlewick Road. A delightful space where I can get inspiration, or unlimited tea and coffee without moving, which is why I have to get my backside moving with a walk. Horsell Common or Heather Farm is a great place to cogitate even if you don’t own a dog. 



The Red Lion, Horsell

The Red Lion, in Horsell, is where the amazing team always find me a quiet corner to work in come rain or shine. Wandering around Woking I often think about the famous writer who lived here, apart from those at Woking Writes Gate of course. Most spoken about are HG Wells and Hilary Mantel, but what about the least discussed? Here are a few for quiz nights or dinner party discussions. 



George Bernard Shaw

George Bernard Shaw lived in Woking. In 1898 he married Charlotte Payne-Townsend and from 1901 to 1903, they lived at Maybury Knowle, off Maybury Hill. There, Shaw completed 'Man and Superman' and followed his hobby of photography, taking pictures of himself and the locality.  



Lady Margaret Beaufort

Our earliest Woking author is the formidable Lady Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII and owner of Woking Palace. Apart from being involved in political scheming, she was also a lady of devotion and culture. She translated the 'Mirror of Gold' into English, also sponsoring William Atkinson’s translation of 'The Imitation of Christ', in 1502 and 1506.



Alfred Bestall's Rupert Bear
 

Alfred Bestall was the author and illustrator of the 'Rupert' books issued in the 'Daily Express.' He was the son of a Methodist minister who lived in York Road with his parents after demobilisation in 1919. He is buried in Brookwood Cemetery.   Phew! 

So, history lesson over, unless you haven’t read Mal Foster’s The Asylum Soul A fascinating tale about Brookwood’s former lunatic asylum and the people who shouldn’t have been incarcerated there.

I haven’t managed to feature Woking in any of my books as yet. Accident of Fate was set in Malta, Sussex, and Berkshire. The sequel to Accident of Birth was set in the wonderful regency town of Sidmouth in Devon, Malta, and Sardinia… See what I mean about water always somewhere in my life from destressing to surrounding my plots?" 




"Last but not least Lionsheart Bookshop-Café stock local Woking Authors books - including my latest novel, The Girl on the Hill." 

www.suemackender.com

 Twitter: @SueMackenderAuthor

 FB :Sue Mackender Author

 

No comments:

Post a Comment